Monday, January 28, 2008

UK TV


With the writers strike going on, and having a baby that likes to be held, I've been returning to old TV favorites. Which leads me, as always, to British television. Bare with me, as I've gone on about all these before via neckdeep.net.

Top Gear - Thanks to BBC America for opening my eyes to more than a few good shows...the best being Top Gear. Often described as automotive Jackass with adults, it takes creative car reviews and adds British humor and fills an entire hour. Certainly my favorite show this year. There are more than a few clips on You Tube, this one on the Bugatti Veyron could be my favorite and the most exciting thing I've seen on TV in a long, long time.

Black Adder - This classic never gets old. I've almost worn out these DVDs. This is the real Rowan Atkinson, pre - Mr. Bean and whip smart. Although Season one is a wash, two, three and four are close to perfect. Oh, and those familiar with the FOX drama House will recognize a younger Hugh Laurie (this clip is amazing) and those down with Rik Mayall (Young Ones) won't be disappointed either. Fucking genius.

Spaced - Only two seasons and not available in the states, Spaced is the show that Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright created pre - Shaun Of The Dead. So damn funny with perfect writing and clever, warm characters, I watch these 14 episodes over and over. The Spaced fan site mentions that FOX is working to adapt the show for American audiences. It worked for the Office, but being a purist...I can't see it happening. You can view a few full episodes on You Tube. I tried to pick a top clip, but I favor them all.

No comments: